|These are some figures for the suspense films released in the year 2009.|
1) How many suspense films were released in 2009? How many films were released altogether last year?
In the year 2009, only 31 suspense films were released compared to a whopping 503 films released that year.
2) Action, animation and comedy account for 52% of Box Office in the UK in 2009. Why do you think these genres are so popular?
These genres are so popular because they are aimed at a mainstream audience, they are also the types of movies that families will watch together, expanding to a large audience. Also with the upcoming technology the animation graphics look really good, and with the rise in 3D movies these movies can become experiences not seen at home.
3) Why do you think Thrillers account for quite a low proprotion of UK Box Office takings (4% in 2009)?
I think coming up with an idea for a thriller and creating the pitch for it is much more challenging then perhaps for other genres. This is because thrillers have to thrill and excite the audience and keep up suspense throughout the film, which can be hard to do. These films also have many conventions that have to be kept to make the film successful. Also some thrillers do not target a mainstream audience like other genres, so it is hard to figure out how popular it will become.
4) Looking at the 'genre by gender' diagram, what information can be derived about Thriller audiences and gender?
This suggests that the main audience for thriller films are young males and perhaps rarely women, if for example the thriller has a sub-genre of romance. Therefore there should be more thrillers that both men and women will watch.
5) Look at the age certificate for 10 of the films featured on the teaching blog. What does this tell you about Thriller audiences?
Most thriller films have an age certificate for 15 or 18, this tells us that thriller audiences are mainly young adults, and that children or the elderly don't watch them. However people from ages 16-24 visit the cinema most often.